Monday, April 19, 2010

Not Wetzel's Pretzels

There are very few wine experiences that rival a full bodied and complex Cabernet Sauvignon.  The numerous nuances that excite the senses are so enjoyable that, once experienced, it's not easy to accept something less.

Of course, I have to check myself sometimes to see if I'm falling into a trap of equating a full bodied Cabernet with an equally full bodied price range.  I'm sure you would agree, it's not often that a truly enjoyable Cabernet is found say, under $10 per bottle.  By enjoyable, I don't mean just acceptable.  I mean truly enjoyable with complexity, depth, and a fantastic food-friendly finish. 

This is my quest: to find a wine such as this within this price range. 

Part of this curiosity drove me to buy a couple of bottles of Alexander Valley Wetzel Vineyard Cabernet - 2006 and 2007. 

Well, they were on sale at Von's and I figured, how could I go wrong at $9 per bottle? 

Okay, I cut to the chase.  The wines weren't bad.  The 2006 was light but pleasant with just enough tannin to go well with the spaghetti we were eating.  There wasn't much depth or complexity to the wine.  It was soft, with some nice floral and earthy tones, some light berrie nuances, and a slightly bitter (but not unpleasant) finish that actually worked nicely with the sauce.

The 2007 was a bit better.  I still have half a bottle left.  I opened it last night with some Cajun grilled salmon and a romaine salad topped with an Italian dressing.  It worked just fine with this meal. 

The wine was light, but so is Salmon.  With the Cajun spices on the salmon, the wine was able to meet the dish halfway and actually compliment the meal nicely.  I'm not sure if the wine would have held up to something more robust, such as a New York steak, but it was a decent pairing.

A light Cabernet with a light meal.  Is it possible?  Yes, and it worked.  But I don't think I could have planned it if not first tasting the 2006 and figuring that the 2007 couldn't be much different.  I was right.  The meal was delicious.  The wine was just the right fit and the price was right. 

Not bad.

Not bad at all.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment