Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Oyster Bay


I tasted my first Oyster Bay wine last night.  Specifically, a friend brought a bottle of the 2008 Oyster Bay Marlborough Pinot Noir to our home and we paired it with grilled mahi mahi, steamed rice, and a romaine salad. 

I looked up Oyster Bay's website and read the following "Elegant, fragrant, and subtle wine"... I would say it's more than that.  For me the wine had me at hello.

This is a wine that is both gentle and filled with wonderful cherry and spice aromas, with just enough acidity to make it quite a bit more versatile that most Pinot Noir's I've had in this price range - under $20. 

It's a pet peeve of mine that it's really difficult to find truly satisfying Pinot Noir in this price range as so many are laced with Syrah or who knows what else to prop up an otherwise dismal wine.  In other words, they cheat.  This is particularly noticeable when that classic hint of white or black pepper finishes off the so-called "Pinot".

Conversely, I could not detect anything but Pinot in this Pinot!  It's almost velvety smooth with tannins that are quite nicely rounded and gentle - framing a complete wine-drinking experience.  I keep going back to the price and I'm pleasantly proud to recommend it, even if it were a bit more expensive.  I've tasted Pinot that hovers in above the $30 and $40 mark that does not have the structure and appealing array of flavor that I found in the Oyster Bay.

Notes from their website say that Michael Ivicevich is the Chief Winemaker. 

Micheal?  Are you listening?

Nice work.

But you already know that.

I'm buying more.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment