Saturday, July 24, 2010

Orange County Home Brew Competition

I started brewing beer with a friend about two years ago.  Last November, he decided to bail on the endeavor and I kept going.  Since then I've brewed several beers and, of course, I think all are great beers - because I brewed them myself.

And truly, all are 'drinkable', most are gone, and only a couple were what I would call very tasty.  The rest were not unpleasant efforts but not something I would actually buy in a market or restaurant.  (That said, I've paid a hefty sum for some bottles in the market that weren't that good, either so, there!)

Anyway, one of my recent brews was good enough - at least in my mind - that I entered it into the Orange County Fair Home Brew Competition.

No, I didn't win, but it was fun to make something that I wasn't embarrassed to share with people I didn't know.  Note to home brewers - most of your friends will be so impressed with the fact that you pour out a beer that you brewed yourself that they'll love it even when you don't.

Today, the OC Fair held a lunch for participants and judges in the competition and announced the winners, many who brought ample quantities of their award winning brews to share.  Talk about fun!

Now, I tasted some pretty good brews today.  I met some really cool people.  I tasted a yummy sandwich.  I had a great time. 

I'd like to say I remember the names of everyone I talked with... there was Ian Akerson who won first place for his Imperial IPA.  This was the category I entered mine into and there's no question that I have some work to do.  Ian was also gracious enough to give me a few pointers on my own brew.

I also tasted some fantastic European style beers brewed by Todd Yenche - winner of 4 first place awards.

I did get into line to taste the Best In Show Baltic Porter, brewed by Jonathan Gunther but he ran out about 3 people before I could get a sample... by the amazed eyes and smiles of those who did get samples, it was clear that this was a damn fine brew... sorry I missed it.

Back at our table - heck, I don't remember all the names... there was Rich... Ian... Brian... anyway, doesn't matter at this point... but what does matter is we had some really great conversation about our collectively favorite beverages and foods to go along with them.  It was a good time all around.

I'm going to enter again next year - an award would be cool - but the people are all there to have a good time and I was caught up in it joyfully!

To those of you who at the table who take the time to read this, thank you.  I had a great time meeting you; wish I remembered all of your names and hope to run into you again soon.

To see a list of the winners, click here:

http://www.ocfair.com/competitions/pdf/results/10_homemade_beer_results.pdf

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment