Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A really cool wine store in San Clemente, CA

On Monday, I left my daughters off in downtown San Clemente while I aimlessly strolled around looking for a place to just kick back.... this is when I happened upon the San Clemente Wine Company. 

The San Clemente Wine Company is a small store with a wonderful variety of wines and an assortment of cheeses.  In the back is a tasting bar and they offer several tasting options, each selected by one of the very hospitable and kind folks who work there.  The wines are organized by varietal and priced very reasonably; especially for a small botique wine store.

Even the tasting prices are fairly modest - right around the $10 range for a flight of 4 tastes - give or take depending on the wines in each flight.  Flights can also be 'customized' to your liking if you see something in particular that appeals to you.  That said, I encourage you to just 'go with it' and enjoy what they have to offer because, based on my experience on this mellow Monday, the people here are quite adept at coming up with flights that are sure to arouse your taste buds and appeal to your senses.

As for me, I had the good fortune of tasting the 2008 Charles Smith Velvet Devil Merlot, the 2008 High Note Malbec, the 2007 Layer Cake Primitivo, and the 2006 J. Rickards Alexander Valley Zinfandel.  Sure this is a bold set of wines for an afternoon tasting, but the flavors were wonderful and diverse.  Even the Layer Cake and J. Rickards presented a diversified cultivation of the Zinfandel grape that left me wanting more, more more!

The downtown San Clemente area is a great place to walk around, dine, and enjoy great wine thanks to the San Clemente Wine Company.  I will definitely make this one of my regular stops when I'm in the area.... heck, it's actually worth a special trip.  Hang out, strike up some great and friendly conversations with others who also love wine, and bask in the mellow and enticing flavors emanating from each glass. 

You can find them at http://www.scwinecompany.com/ or on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?profile=1&id=113285644765.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment