Thursday, June 24, 2010

Wild Horses.... couldn't drag me away....

The classic Rolling Stones song sings it's way through my memory as I sip the last glass of 2008 Wild Horse Pinot Noir for the evening.... Such a mellow but powerful tune... leaves an impression, doesn't it?  The same can be said for the 2008 Wild Horse Pinot.

The beauty of this wine, in my opinion, is that the Wild Horse Winery website has no information posted yet on this vintage... as of today.  Of course, the elegant and complex 2007 is mentioned as well as the 2006... guess it's a bit early in the game... like the first verse of the Stones tune.... you don't know how great it really is until you hear it over and over again... or, in this case, taste it again and again...

Wild Horses... couldn't drag me away... indeed!

I'm a fan of Wild Horse Winery and I have been for about 5 years now; especially after tasting their Unbridled Pinot.  At this point in time, however, I have to say that the last 2 vintages of the Central Coast Pinot are two of my favorites from this winery.  Very approachable... I mean, er, uh, drinkable wines.  Yes, drinkable.  Just pour 'em and drink 'em....

Childhood living is easy to do.... the things you wanted, I bought them for you... and on and on and on...

Tonight, I paired the 2008 with some bacon-wrapped sea scallops with strawberry chutney.... artichokes... romaine salad with Roma tomatoes, purple onion, orange bell peppers, and avocado... chicken skewers....

And the wine is all that I can crank it up to be... kind of cranking up the Stones... this wine is meant to be heard.  It's got all of those gentle pinot-like characteristics... the soft spice notes, the mineral-like texture, and a soft strawberry nose... but this little horse has finesse and structure as well!  Didn't break down for a moment throughout the meal.  Not for a minute.

The things you wanted, I bought them for you....

And I'm buying more.  Pure an simple.  The 2008 Wild Horse Central Coast Pinot is a fantastic bargain, and would be worth twice the price, actually.  It's not just good for the price, it's just good.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Jim! So glad you enjoyed the Pinot, and your food pairing sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete