Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I can't say enough about Columbia Crest wines

The title says it all. I'm looking and cannot find a wine under $10 that I like as much (let alone more) than the Columbia Crest Grand Estates wines.... especially the Cabernet and Merlot. The 2004, 2005 and 2006 vintages of these wines are up to the task of many wines I've spent over $20 on over the years. In fact, in many cases, it's not even close.

For example, the 2005 Beaulieu Rutherford Cabernet sells for between $18 (costco) to around $30 (markets) and starts nicely out of the glass but finishes thin and weak. By contrast, the 2005 Grand Estates Cabernet is a bit softer up front, but finishes with nice tanin and structure to pair well with grilled meats that are rubbed and spiced up.

In fact, in a test that I recently did, I opened the BV and the Columbia Crest, and drank both over a 3 day period. I ended up pouring out the BV on day 3 and finishing the Columbia Crest. The temperature conditions and timing of bottle opening were virtually identical. But, after 3 days, the Columbia Crest was still drinking heartily and full of dark fruit flavors.

As for the Columbia Crest Merlot.... the 2004 was incredible. The 2005 is a bit more earthy and darker but has a bit more body than the 2004. The 2006 is much like the 2004 and I'm anxious to find out how it holds up into 2010 and 2011.

These days, value is important. There are many overpriced products out there, products that are priced according to reputation and name value. But I don't care about name value. I care about taste... I care about flavor... and I care about getting the best wine for the least amount of money.

Columbia Crest wines kick ass. Whatever is going on up there in the state of Washington is a fine benchmark for others to follow. Create a great product, don't insult the customer's wallet, and keep 'em coming back for more.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment